Monday, August 11, 2014

10 Years :: 10 Questions

As some of the other blogs participating in Blaugust have already noted, the Godmother of Faff has questions.  I have answers.  Let's do this.

1. Why did you start playing Warcraft?

At the time World of Warcraft came out, I was playing Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes.  My interest in both was beginning to wane a bit.  In SWG I had mastered my initial chosen professions and didn't feel like there was much more to do.  In City of Heroes, I had reached the point where there just wasn't much interesting to do solo.  Then came WoW.  Here was a game with quests and soloable content and non-stop stuff to do!

2. What was the first ever character you rolled?


The day WoW launched, I created Thalen, a dwarven hunter on Argent Dawn.  That was my main until the day I quit.

3. Which factors determined your faction choice in game?


Dwarves with guns.  It was that simple.

4. What has been your most memorable moment in Warcraft and why?


There've been so many it's hard to choose.  The one Belghast recounted is certainly high on the list.  Ultimately, I think I'd have to pick my very first Molten Core raid, particularly the Ragnaros fight.  A friend whispered me out of the blue asking if I was available for Molten Core, and I actually let my interest in it overpower my hermit nature.  The raid had downed up multiple time by that point, so I found myself in a non-stop whirlwind tour of giants, core hounds, and fire critters.  I came out of that raid with my first piece of Giantstalker and a hunger for more.

5. What is your favourite aspect of the game and has this always been the case?


Exploration.  Hunting down every quest and every secret that I could find.  Long before there were achievements, even before quests at max level gave gold rewards, I sought them all out just for completion's sake.

6. Do you have an area in game that you always return to?


Ironforge.  In Vanilla, my hearthstone was set to the bar near the entrance.  Even after expansions and additional auction houses stopped Ironforge being the center of the Alliance universe, I went back regularly just because.  When I finally quit the game, I took each character to a spot that seemed appropriate to them and took a screenshot before logging off.  Thalen's is of him sitting in his regular chair in that bar.




7. How long have you /played and has that been continuous?

I can't check it now, but I know my /played on Thalen was over a year.  I started playing the day the game went live, and didn't quit until August of last year.  During that time I had the occasional period of burnout when I didn't log on for a month or so, but I never unsubscribed and for most of that time I logged on pretty much daily.

8. Admit it: do you read quest text or not?


Yup, always have, always will.  I want to know the story.

9. Are there any regrets from your time in game?


Not really.  I don't feel like it ever negatively impacted real life, and I have so many good memories and friends that I've made due to WoW, that I can't say I regret a bit of it.

10. What effect has Warcraft had on your life outside gaming?


I'm sure I'm closer to my real life friends that I played with than I would be without WoW.  We adventured and raided together for years, after all.  Without WoW, it's quite likely we would have drifted apart.  And then I wouldn't have met my wife.  So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment